Real estate environmental issues can present significant challenges for transactions and business operations. Skilled and experienced guidance is critical for negotiating these challenges. Carmody’s Environmental Group focuses on transactions, regulatory compliance, litigation, and alternative dispute resolution. We represent local, regional, national and international businesses, in addition to developers, municipalities, commercial lenders, nonprofit organizations, regulated utilities and energy providers, and private citizens in Connecticut environmental matters. No matter what the environmental issues may be, we focus on our clients’ goals and strive to manage matters efficiently and in a cost-effective manner.
Drawing on the firm’s strong municipal, regulatory, and business practices, we assist clients with:
- Quantifying and managing environmental risks in connection with real estate, stock and asset transactions
- Compliance associated with Connecticut’s “Transfer Act.”
- The financing and redevelopment of contaminated properties, with associated permitting.
- Compliance advice to industrial, commercial, lending and municipal clients regarding hazardous waste, underground storage tanks, wastewater, air emissions, asbestos, lead paint and toxic chemicals.
- Public/private partnerships to redevelop Brownfields and address regional environmental problems.
- Defense of federal and State of Connecticut judicial and administrative enforcement actions, environmental cost recovery litigation and negotiation of settlements.