- News & Media
Jay H. Sandak has practiced in Connecticut for more than forty years. Jay currently has a full-time Alternate Dispute Resolution practice with an emphasis on mediation. Jay’s trial skills form a solid foundation for him when he serves as a private Mediator and Arbitrator. He is a Fellow of the American College of Civil Trial Mediators, a member of the Association of Attorney Mediators, the American Arbitration Association Panel of Neutrals and National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals. He has and continues to serve as a Special Master for the U.S. Federal District Court of Connecticut and the Connecticut Superior Court negotiating settlements where he has served for almost twenty years. Jay has conducted over 200 mediations covering business relationships, both medical and legal professional liability and catastrophic personal injury claims involving death and severe disabilities. In addition Jay has arbitrated numerous civil disputes including a soft-ware licensing case with multi-million dollar claims, a municipal liability dispute and partnership dissolution disputes.
As a result of Jay’s ongoing mediation training around the country both as a student and as a teacher, he is often called upon to facilitate a resolution of extremely difficult and complex disputes. Continuous training in the practice of mediation is what sets Jay apart as a skilled mediator who can service clients who are looking for a non-litigation strategy for ending disputes.
Prior to joining Carmody Torrance Sandak and Hennessey, Jay Sandak was the founder of Sandak Hennessey and Greco LLP. Before forming Sandak Hennessey and Greco, Jay was a partner for fourteen years at a high profile trial firm which has given him the added experience needed to handle complex mediation cases.
- Forty plus years of litigating complex commercial and personal injury cases involving condemnation, labor, corporate, partnership, intellectual property, commercial transactions and catastrophic personal injury claims involving death and permanent disabling injuries
- Ten years of mediating and arbitrating civil disputes involving millions of dollars in claims
- Rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell © Peer Review Ratings
- Named to the Top 50 Attorneys in Connecticut in 2008-2009, 2018
- Selected for inclusion in Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers® in the area of ADR since 2007
- Selected by peer review for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America since 2006, in the areas of:
- Commercial Litigation
- 2014 Co-Recipient of the Judge Robert Zampano Award for Excellence in Mediation
- Co-Recipient of 2015 Citizen of the Year, Stamford, Connecticut
- Listed in the 24th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
- Stamford Citizen of the Year for 2015, Stamford Advocate
- 41 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2019 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut Lists
- 15 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers®
- Partner Jay H. Sandak Installed as Chairman of the Board of the Child Guidance Center of Southern Connecticut
- Jay Sandak and His Wife Mary Sommer – the 2015 Stamford Citizens of the Year
- Singer Foundation and Connecticut Bar Foundation Launch New Public Service Fellowship Program
- 41 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2018 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut Lists
- 33 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2018 New England Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars Lists
- Welcome to the World of Virtual Med-Arb in Connecticut
- Mediation in the Criminal Justice System
- U.S. Supreme Court Settles It
- Role of the Attorney in a Mediation
- Mediation Settlement Morphs into an Arbitration Award
- Be an Educated Consumer when Selecting a Mediator
- Served as Corporation Counsel for the City of Stamford
- American College of Civil Trial Mediators, Fellow
- Association of Attorney Mediators
- American Arbitration Association, Master Mediation Panel
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- American Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Section
- Connecticut Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Section, Co-Chairman 2013-14
- Fairfield Bar Association, Former Co-Chairman, Alternative Dispute Committee and Bench-Bar Committee
- Connecticut Bar Foundation, James W. Cooper Fellow
- Former VP United Way of Stamford
- Former, President, Stamford EMS Foundation
- Former, Board of Directors, Stamford Center for the Arts
- Former, Board of Directors, Stamford Shelter for the Homeless
- Current Board member and former President of Child Guidance Center of Southwest Connecticut
- Current, President, The Herbert and Nell Singer Foundation, Inc.
- Co-Chairman, Stamford 17th Charter Revision Commission
- Member, Community Advisory Committee, Hands for Life, 2013, 2015 (Community-Wide Compression Only CPR Training)
Jay is an experienced mediator who knows the importance of listening to the parties. He invariably gains the confidence and trust of the litigants, setting the ground work for resolution of the case.
Thank you for your skillful and sensitive mediation between my brother and me in the matter of my dad’s estate. Your work is so impressive and important to families who experience regrettable divisions — and you accomplish it all with equanimity, clear purpose, and a smile.