- News & Media
Jim Robertson is a member of the firm’s litigation practice, which was named a “highly recommended” Connecticut litigation team in Benchmark Litigation’s Guide to Leading Business Litigation Firms and Attorneys. Jim has regularly been recognized as a preeminent litigator in Benchmark Litigation, Chambers USA, Superlawyers® (“Top 50” and “Top 10”), and Best Lawyers in America. He is rated AV- “Preeminent” by Martindale Hubbell and 9.7 “Superb” by Avvo. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and of the American Board of Trial Advocates (“ABOTA”).
Jim has been first chair in over 50 jury trials and 100 court trials in state and federal courts. He serves as national coordinating counsel of product liability claims for numerous manufacturers, and is frequently selected as a special master, arbitrator and mediator. Jim has served as a Superior Court judge and as the firm’s Managing Partner. He is an ordained Congregational Minister and serves as the Associate Minister of the Watertown Congregational Church.
- Lead trial counsel in a federal jury trial involving antitrust violations, trade secret misappropriation and computer crimes. Client prevailed on all claims, resulting in a judgement of nearly $65 million.
- Secured what is believed to be the largest punitive damage award (over $27 million) in the history of the State of Connecticut.
- Secured a $25 million settlement in a trade secrets and unfair trade practices case.
- Lead trial counsel defending a trailer manufacturer accused of causing the deaths and serious injuries of eight Yale students riding in an SUV that struck a disabled trailer while returning from a fraternity initiation. After a five-week trial in federal court, the jury returned within one hour with a defense verdict.
- Part of a small team of the firm’s lawyers that defended a national gas transmission pipeline company that provided gas to a major plant being constructed in Connecticut. Several workers were killed, and many were injured when the plant exploded.
- Lead counsel defending gas company that was sued when gas leaked into a restaurant, causing it to explode, resulting in deaths and serious injuries.
- Represented Connecticut’s governor in lawsuits brought by major media and employee unions.
- Represented Connecticut’s Chief Court Administrator and Chief Justice in lawsuits brought by major media and others arising from judicial confidentiality disputes.
- Lead counsel representing major train manufacturers in cases arising from train derailment and explosion in Canada that resulted in deaths of 49 residents and the destruction of a village.
- Served as Guardian Ad Litem for beneficiaries in dispute over multi-million trust.
- Served as lead Special State’s Attorney representing State in several appeals of criminal cases.
- Lead trial counsel successfully representing franchisees in their claim of unfair trade practices against national franchisor, resulting in award of $1.8 million.
- Lead counsel representing wholesalers in their claims against State for unconstitutional retroactive imposition of escheat law.
- Lead counsel representing race track in its claims of unlawful zoning regulations by town, and in defense of injunctive actions brought by town residents.
- Served as court-appointed Special Master in action between government contractors and in numerous tort claims against hospital alleging sexual abuse by doctor.
Professional and Community Leadership
- Chair of the Board of Trustees, The Hartford Seminary
- Board of the Connecticut Junior Republic Association, Inc.
- The Hartford Seminary: service as Board Vice Chairman and Treasurer; taught graduate courses on The Causes and Origin of Evil and Systematic Theology
- The University of Connecticut School of Law: past President of the University of Connecticut School of Law Foundation; taught course on The Legislative Process for several years; recipient of the Distinguished Graduate Award
- Connecticut Humanities Counsel: past Board member and Chairman
- Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association: past Board member and President
- Connecticut Bar Foundation: past Chairman, Kravitz Symposium on the Vanishing Trial
- Connecticut Judicial Selection Commission: past Commissioner and Chairman
- Connecticut Bar Association: past Co-Chairman, Committee to Establish Lawyer Assistance Program
- United Church of Christ: past Moderator of the local, Connecticut and national settings
- Connecticut Junior Republic: Board member
- Board Membership: past service on boards of Mattatuck Museum, Waterbury Symphony, Visiting Nurses Association
- Yale University, Bachelor of Arts, cum laude
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Juris Doctor, with honors
- The Hartford Seminary, Master of Arts
- Yale Divinity School and Yale Law School, nine course program of study while on sabbatical
- Recipient of the 2011 Distinguished Graduate Award from the University of Connecticut School of Law
- Selected by peer review for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, 1995-present (©Woodward/White, Inc.)
- Highlighted in Chambers USA, 2005-present
- Selected as a Connecticut Local Litigation Star in Benchmark Litigation, 2008-2015, 2019
- Selected for inclusion in Connecticut Super Lawyers® in the area of Civil Litigation, 2006 – 2018; Top 10 Connecticut Super Lawyers®, 2009; Connecticut Top 50 Super Lawyers®, 2006 – 2011, 2018
- Selected for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers® in the area of Civil Litigation Defense, 2007 – 2016; New England Top 100 Super Lawyers®, 2007 – 2012, 2016
- S. District Court, District of Connecticut Special Master, 1997-present
- Highlighted in the 2017 edition of Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for placing in the Top Tier of Lawyers in Connecticut.
- Listed in the 24th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Commercial Litigation, 2008-2020
- 15 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers®
- 25 Carmody & Torrance Attorneys Selected to the 2012 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut List
- Carmody & Torrance’s Litigation and Labor and Employment Groups Receive Honors from Chambers USA
- Attorney James K. Robertson Ordained as a Minister
- James K. Robertson, Jr. Joins Connecticut Junior Republic Board of Directors
- MacDermid’s $35M Jury Award in Antitrust Row Trimmed
- Waterbury Company Gets Nearly $28 Million in Punitives in IP Case
- With Interest, IP Verdict for Waterbury Company Approaches $65 Million
- Connecticut Chemical Company Collects $25 Million Settlement
- Company Wins $35 Million Verdict in Trade Secrets Case
- 41 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2018 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut Lists
- 33 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2018 New England Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars Lists
James Robertson is described by market observers as a terrific lawyer.” His practice encompasses a broad range of matters, such as government investigations, environmental litigation and product liability disputes.”Chambers USA, 2016
He’s very analytical, strong, very personable, really hard-working and very knowledgeable.Chambers USA, 2018