Lauren Hopwood is a partner in Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP’s Business Services Group and leads the firm’s immigration practice. Lauren represents clients including national and multinational companies and nonprofit institutions in a variety of industries, including the health care, financial services, scientific, information technology and educational sectors. She has extensive experience and knowledge in a wide array of business immigration matters, including nonimmigrant and immigrant petitions, as well as the permanent residence process. Lauren assists employers and self-petitioning individuals in filing immigrant visa petitions and adjustment of status applications. She also regularly advises clients on I-9 Compliance, E-Verify, and immigration related due diligence and compliance arising from changes in corporate structure.
- Counseled Hospital on immigration-related consequences of acquisition by for-profit entity, including impact on H-1B cap-exempt status and nonimmigrant and immigrant visa sponsorship.
- Successfully negotiated favorable settlement with Office of Special Counsel following full-blown I-9 audit by Immigration & Customs Enforcement.
- Represented Saudi Arabian human rights activist in receiving grant of political asylum based on well-founded fear of persecution by Saudi Regime.
- Connecticut Bar Association, Prior Chair of Immigration Law Committee
- Selected as a Connecticut Super Lawyers® Rising Star in the area of immigration, 2012-2015
- Greater New Haven Chamber of Commerce Leadership Center Graduate, 2012
- Connecticut Bar Association, Co-Chair Human Trafficking Committee
- American Immigration Law Association (AILA)
- Connecticut AILA Chapter, Corporate Immigration Law Committee
- Foreign/International Medical Graduate Taskforce
- Connecticut Bar Association
- National Italian American Bar Association