- News & Media
Deborah practices in the areas of environmental, real estate, and land use law, with a focus on assisting clients to understand, manage, and limit environmental risks associated with property and business transactions. Deborah represents a diverse array of clients through environmental aspects of purchasing or selling real estate or businesses that have significant environmental liabilities, including navigating investigation and remedial obligations under the Connecticut Transfer Act. She guides clients through remediation and redevelopment of brownfield and environmentally sensitive properties, including negotiating environment use restrictions for contaminated properties with the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (CT DEEP) and regularly advises regarding environmental permitting and compliance issues.
Deborah is an active participant in the State’s ongoing efforts to revamp Connecticut’s environmental regulatory framework, and currently serves on one of the CT DEEP subcommittees formed to assist the State with its development of a new release-based cleanup program, which will ultimately replace the Transfer Act and drastically change environmental compliance obligations in the State.
Deborah has cultivated close relationships with the regulatory and consultant community that enable her to efficiently assist clients with environmental matters. She applies her years of experience, including a background at a prominent public interest environmental advocacy organization, to provide clients with pragmatic, cost-effective, and creative solutions to environmental issues.
Deborah is also experienced in representing developers, institutions, and property owners in a wide range real estate and commercial transactions, and land use matters.
- 40 Under Forty Recipient, Westchester & Fairfield County Business Journals, 2022
- New Leaders in Law, Connecticut Legal Awards, Connecticut Law Tribune, 2021
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Selected for inclusion in Connecticut Super Lawyers® in the area of Real Estate, 2017
- Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Elects Deborah R. Brancato, Liam S. Burke and Todd R. Michaelis as Partners of the Firm
- Connecticut Bar Association, Environmental Law Section Executive Committee, 2021-2022
- Connecticut Society For Women Environmental Professionals (SWEP), Board Member
- Environmental Professionals Organization of Connecticut (EPOC)
- Fairfield County Bar Association
- Norwalk Leadership Institute Program, 2020
- NYC Environmental Law Leadership Institute, 2009
- Former Chair of the Fairfield County Bar Association Environmental Section, 2020-2021
- Former Board Member of the Mutual Housing Association of Southwestern Connecticut, Inc.