- News & Media
Wes practices in Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessy’s Business Services and Individual Client Practice Groups. Wes represents public and closely-held businesses and non-profit organizations in all aspects of their operations, from formation and start-up through growth, ongoing operations, and exit planning. Wes also represents a broad range of individual estate planning clients, from young families who are just starting out to high net worth individuals and families with complex estate, business, and succession planning objectives. Wes formerly worked as a CPA specializing in financial services at one of the Big Four accounting firms. Wes’ background as a CPA helps him advise clients on complex legal, financial, and tax issues.
- Represented a tax-exempt college and provided advice on endowment and institutional fund issues in connection with the college’s disaffiliation from a larger university.
- Advised a tax-exempt school on endowment and institutional fund matters and compliance issues following the sale of the school’s operating assets to a for-profit entity.
- Represented a tax-exempt social welfare organization in connection with its dissolution and distribution of its charitable funds pursuant to a cy pres action.
- Advised US and foreign charities on tax-exemption compliance related to cross-border charitable activities and donations.
- Experience structuring and drafting charitable fund governing instruments including endowment declarations, charitable lead trusts, charitable remainder trusts, and gift modification agreements.
- Experience converting public charities to private foundations, public charities to supporting organizations, and private foundations to supporting organizations.
- Formed and advised 501(c)(3) organizations for social services and social welfare, scholarship grant making, youth sports, affordable housing, historical preservation, and small share farming.
- Formed and advised 501(c)(4) organizations for political action and lobbying.
- Represented and advised a broad spectrum of 501(c)(3) organizations including schools, colleges, hospitals, youth camps, and grant making foundations as well as organizations providing services related to social welfare, youth sports, affordable housing, land conservation and historic preservation, religious and faith-based activities, arts and humanities, and small share farming.
- Provided guidance on corporate governance, unrelated business income tax, private inurement and private benefit transactions, and intermediate sanctions.
- Selected for inclusion as a Rising Star in Connecticut Super Lawyers® in the area of Estate & Probate, 2018-2021
- University of Connecticut Law School Morris Pomp Tax Award, 2016
- University of Connecticut Law School Foundation Award for Exceptional Achievement & Scholarship, 2016
- Editor-in-Chief, Connecticut Law Review, 2016
- 33 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2020 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut Lists
- Wesley D. Cain
- Wesley D. Cain
- Succession Planning
- Fundamentals for Business Succession Planning
- Business Succession Planning—Never a Better Time
- Maximizing Opportunity Zones and Qualified Opportunity Funds
- Brewer Business Session: Accounting, Legal, & Funding 101
- Intellectual Property Training at The Artist Colony
- Legal Protection for Freelancers 2019
- CBA Planning & Zoning Section: Connecticut’s Opportunity Zones
- CTASLA 7th Annual Residential Design Expo
- Legal Protection for Freelancers 2018
- Myths and Realities of Estate Planning in the 21st Century
- Philanthropy Beyond Your Tax Deduction
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Tax Section
- Estate Planning Section
- New Haven County Bar Association
- The Trust for Public Land, Connecticut Advisory Board
- United Way of Greater New Haven
- Planned Giving Advisory Group
- Development Committee
- Guilford Sailing Foundation, Director