- News & Media
Matt is a partner in the firm’s Private Clients Group, where he advises clients in all areas of estate planning and probate law and he routinely represents individual and institutional clients in litigated matters in the Probate and Superior Courts. Matt’s estate planning practice ranges from the estate planning needs of younger individuals and families to high net worth clients with sophisticated business and estate planning objectives. When a loved one passes, Matt advises families through the estate settlement process, including post-mortem tax and trust planning considerations involving complicated estates subject to state and federal estate tax liability.
Matt’s practice is unique: he is both a planning attorney, developing estate plans and settling decedents’ estates, and an effective advocate and litigation attorney when estate and trust matters become contested. He frequently represents individuals and families in will, trust and contested conservatorship matters, and represents leading Connecticut, national and international financial institutions serving as trustee and fiduciary.
- Successfully proved undue influence and lack of testamentary capacity to invalidate Will, Kane v. Appeal from Probate, 2009 WL 943761 (Scholl, J.)
- Prevailed in defense of Trustee in partition action involving disputed valuation of trust asset, Christie v. US Trust Bank of America Private Wealth Management, 2013 WL 6510926 (2013) (Quinn, J.)
- Successfully handled numerous contested conservatorship matters, including appeals to Superior Court. Matters have included difficult substance abuse and young adult psychiatric cases.
- Prevailed representing beneficiaries in Trustee removal proceedings, and has successfully defended individual and institutional Trustees alleged to have committed breaches of trust and fiduciary duty
- Recognized by New England Super Lawyers® Magazine in the area of Estate Planning and Probate, 2014, 2013 & 2017, and as Rising Star or Connecticut Super Lawyer® each year since 2008.
- 41 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2019 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut Lists
- 41 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2018 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut Lists
- 34 Attorneys Selected to the 2016 Connecticut Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars List
- Connecticut Bar Association, Estates and Probate Section
- New Haven County Bar Association
- The Guilford Foundation, Inc., Board Member
- Faulkner’s Island Light Brigade, Board Member
- Past President, University of Connecticut School of Law Alumni Association
- Past service on Boards of Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation; Neighborhood Music School, Inc.; and PLAN of Connecticut, Inc.