- News & Media
Damian’s practice covers a broad range of intellectual property matters with a focus on intellectual property litigation. Damian has experience litigating patent, trademark, antitrust, trade secret, and unfair competition matters. Damian is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, positioning him to provide comprehensive representation and counsel to clients with intellectual property needs. Damian also has experience working in other areas of complex commercial litigation. His experience covers a range of matters including, among others, commercial contracts, fraudulent asset transfers, and environmental issues.
Beyond trial work, also assists clients with data privacy and security issues. He works with clients to evaluate and allocate the increasingly prevalent risks of a data breach in the world of e-commerce. He also assists clients with navigating data breach events. Damian also maintains an active appellate practice. He has worked on appeals at all levels, both state and federal. Damian regularly works on criminal appeals in the capacity of a Special Public Defender through the State’s Public Defenders Officer.
While in law school, Damian served as a student law clerk to the Honorable Holly B. Fitzsimmons of the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut. Before law school, Damian was a police officer in Upstate New York. Damian’s law enforcement training and experience positioned him for the inherent conflicts of litigation, and also gave him insight into conflict resolution and human behavior that he is able to utilize in his daily practice.
- Part of a team that obtained a $35 million jury verdict against a competitor for breach of contract, antitrust, unfair competition, and misappropriation of trade secrets claims.
- Settled multiple property damage claims on behalf of a major Connecticut utility provider.
Prior to law school, Damian was a Deputy Sheriff for the Tompkins County Sheriff’s Office in Upstate New York. While there he received numerous distinctions including becoming certified as Level II Traffic Accident Reconstructionist through the Northwestern University Center for Public Safety.
- Damian is a member of the firm’s litigation group, which was named a “highly recommended” Connecticut litigation team in Benchmark Litigation’s Guide to Leading Business Litigation Firms and Attorneys
- Selected for inclusion as a Rising Star in Connecticut Super Lawyers® in the area of Intellectual Property Litigation, 2015-2019
- Selected for inclusion as a Rising Star in New England Super Lawyers® in the area of Intellectual Property Litigation, 2016
- 41 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2019 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut Lists
- Damian K. Gunningsmith
- 41 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2018 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut Lists
- 33 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2018 New England Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars Lists
- Data Privacy and Cyber Security Alert: Connecticut’s New Data Security Law
- Data Privacy and Security & Education Law Alert: Ready for the GDPR? New European Privacy Law to Impact U.S. Schools and Universities
- The ‘Atomic Bomb’ of Patent Law
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- New Haven County Bar Association
- Economic Development Commission for the Town of Guilford