- News & Media
Matthew advises public and private companies at every stage of the corporate life cycle. With his broad background in corporate and securities law, Matthew helps clients grow their businesses from start-up, through growth funding, ongoing operations and exit planning.
Matthew’s practice also includes advising companies on mergers and acquisitions, contracts, lending, work-outs, corporate governance matters. He also advises nonprofit organizations in a variety of matters including governance, lifecycle, merger, dissolution.
Matthew also helped to write several of Connecticut’s business entity laws, including the new Uniform Limited Liability Company Act and the Connecticut Entity Transactions Act. He was also the associate reporter for the American Bar Association’s Model Nonprofit Corporation Act drafting committee, which recently published the Fourth edition of the Model Act.
- Advised Australia-based international start-up, CH4 Global, a pioneer in utilizing seaweed to drastically reduce ruminant methane emissions, on its $13 million Series A funding led by DCVC, the Silicon Valley venture capital fund.
- Advised radar technology company Xandar Kardian Inc., with operations in Korea and Canada, on $12 million Series a funding led by a consortium of venture capital funds.
- Advised a New Haven based health technology company founded in 2015 that puts patients in charge of their health information, on its $4 million convertible note bridge financing.
- Advised drone company on $9 million funding from a family office investor.
- Advised multiple startups on angel, convertible and SAFE financings.
- Represented Upward Labs, a Hartford-based accelerator, in formation and operations over multiple cohorts.
- Advised aerospace manufacturer in $36 million sale to venture-backed platform company.
- Represented 4th generation manufacturing company with international operations in $315 million sale to publicly-traded acquirer.
- Represented private equity company in acquisition of platform pest control equipment company, international bolt-on acquisitions and eventual sale to strategic acquirer.
- Advised on the acquisition and disposition of precision medical device components company.
- Carmody represented a New York real estate developer on a matter involving commercial refinance, business equity line and buyout of business partners.
- Carmody was lead counsel in restructuring ownership of a United States based company providing investigative services in all 50 states to domestic insurance companies and the simultaneous closing of the acquisition of a competitor.
- Advised public charity on dissolution and disposition of endowment, including cy pres.
- Counsel to charitable entity organized as LLC in restructuring to assure compliance with exempt entity guidance.
- Carmody provided subsidiary management services for hundreds of domestic and international subsidiaries of publicly traded companies. Carmody also regularly serves as U.S. legal counsel on cross-border intercompany reorganizations.
- Selected as a “New Leader in the Law” by the Connecticut Law Tribune, 2015
- Selected for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars in the area of Business/Corporate, 2014, 2016-17
- Selected for inclusion in Connecticut Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars in the area of Business/Corporate, 2013-2017
- Legal Protection for Coders & Programming Professionals
- LLCs 2.0: Member Disputes & Drafting Tips to Avoid Them CLE
- LLCs 2.0: Member Disputes & Drafting Tips to Avoid Them Under the New CT Uniform LLC Act
- Speaker, Best Practices for Nonprofit Governance, United Way of Greater Waterbury June 2017
- Speaker, Connecticut Entity Transactions Act Seminar, Connecticut Bar Association CLE, March 2014
- Speaker, Connecticut Uniform LLC Act, Business Law Section Executive Committee Meeting, October 2015
- Speaker, Connecticut Uniform LLC Act, Connecticut Bar Association Annual Meeting CLE, June 2016
- Speaker, Connecticut Uniform LLC Act, Connecticut Bar Association April 2017
- Speaker, Connecticut Uniform LLC Act, Connecticut Bar Association, September 2016
- Speaker, Connecticut Uniform LLC Act, Connecticut Society of CPAs, October 2016
- Speaker, Interested Member Transactions under the Connecticut LLC Act, Connecticut Bar Association Business Law Section, January 2015
- Society for Governance Professionals
- Business Law Section of the Connecticut Bar Association, Executive Committee
- Chair, Nonstock Corporations Committee
- Committee for drafting the Connecticut Uniform Limited Liability Company Act
- Committee for drafting the Connecticut Entity Transactions Act
- New Haven County Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- ABA Model Nonprofit Corporation Act Drafting Committee