- News & Media
Dave Hardy is a partner in Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey’s litigation group. His practice focuses on business and commercial disputes, including trials in state and federal courts, administrative proceedings, and appeals. Dave works diligently to align the legal and business objectives of his clients, while providing them with value. He often handles litigation involving contracts, insurance coverage, construction and restrictive covenants. Dave’s clients credit his pragmatic and level-headed approach to problem solving as a particular asset in his representation of parties in contentious “business divorce” cases involving partnership break-ups and corporate dissolutions.
David also has extensive experience in litigating matters involving real property, including land use, tax appeals and actions involving title. A substantial component of Dave’s legal work involves eminent domain cases. He represents both property owners and condemning authorities, including utility and energy companies and municipal agencies.
In addition to his traditional litigation practice, David has developed considerable experience representing and advising clients in permitting, investigations and compliance under state and federal alcoholic beverage regulations. He currently serves as outside general counsel to a beverage alcohol trade association and a Connecticut brewery.
- Trial or settlement of in excess of sixty eminent domain actions
- Obtained injunction against municipality’s attempted taking of commercial property by eminent domain
- Successfully tried quiet title action concerning ownership of commercial property, defeating claims of adverse possession and prescriptive easements
- Successful representation of policyholder against insurer, obtaining judgment for breach of duty to defend and indemnify under commercial general liability policy
- Successful representation of policyholder against insurer, obtaining appraisal arbitration award for damage to commercial property two times the value of insurer’s final settlement offer
- Part of team that successfully enjoined state and local authorities from unlawfully interfering with federally authorized interstate natural gas pipeline project
- Rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell © Peer Review Ratings
- James W. Cooper, Fellow Connecticut Bar Foundation
- Selected for inclusion in Connecticut Super Lawyers in the area of Business Litigation, 2009-2015
- Selected as Benchmark Litigation Future Star in Benchmark Litigation, Guide to America’s Leading Business Litigation Firms and Attorneys, 2008-2015, 2019
- Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Gary S. Klein and David S. Hardy Elected to the Connecticut Bar Foundation James W. Cooper Fellows Program
- Connecticut Bar Association
- New Haven County Bar Association
- Former President, The University of Connecticut Law School Alumni Association, Inc.
- Former Chairman, Town of Madison Board of Assessment Appeals
Through Dave’s exhaustive legal research, creativity, diligence, superb presentation in Court and cool head, we won the case.Metro New York Real Estate Developer
David is an excellent attorney and advocate.Opposing counsel
Dave knows what it takes to get even the most complex deals done. In the conference room or courtroom, Dave is an ally you’ll want by your side.Real Estate Supervisor, Publicly Traded Energy Company
Events & Speaking Engagements
Pro Bono Trials: Tips & Pointers from the Bench & Bar - Second Edition
8:00am United States District Court for the District of Connecticut
CBA Environmental Section’s 2nd Annual “Evening of Connecticut Environmental Leadership”
6:00pm Yale Peabody Museum