Free Workshop: Legal Protection for Freelancers
August 22 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree
Join our start@Carmody team at Upward Hartford for a free educational workshop for startups, small businesses, and entrepreneurs.
The focus of this workshop will be on the legal aspects related to freelance graphic design and illustration work, and will focus on such topics as:
- When and how should an artist go about starting a small business? Where do we even begin to file the correct paperwork?
- What are the pros and cons of selling your art online with vendors like Storenvy or Society6? What about selling your art and items at conventions or other events?
- How can you protect your artwork in the age of digital piracy, screenshots and ripoffs? What actions can you take should you find out your work has been stolen or misused?
- What is some advice when drafting up contracts especially if you plan to work on a Kickstarter project?
- What are the pros and cons of selling your work to stock image sites like Adobe Stock or iStock? What is the deal with royalties?
- Are sites like Patreon a viable source of extra income, or is it not worth it when you consider the fees associated with having a tax ID and trying to do things above-board?