connected in connecticut
We represent numerous governmental and quasi-governmental entities including state and local economic development agencies, state financing authorities, universities and many cities, towns and municipal authorities. Our vast experience spans property acquisitions and sales, financing, leasing, sale/leaseback transactions, land development, construction, property management, planning and zoning and other land use law, environmental law and regulation, title examination and resolution of title issues.
Our Municipal/Government practice encompasses:
- Municipal Operation. Charter revision, municipal liability, tax and service districts, Charters, ordinances, agency regulations, Freedom of Information Act.
- State/Municipal Relationships. Education; federal, state loan and grant programs; traffic authorities; industrial parks.
- Intermunicipal Relationships. Negotiation and structuring of intermunicipal agreements for utility and workforce matters.
- Land Use Controls. Zoning, planning, subdivision, inland wetlands; air, water and noise pollution.
- Land Acquisitions. Purchases and acquisition by eminent domain; bids, bonds for materials and labor and performance; financing and interim anticipation financing.
- Open Space. Acquisition of land, grant applications, enactment of ordinances to promote open space acquisition/preservation, including analysis and resolution of title issues.
- Environmental Matters. Recycling, permitting and compliance matters, hazardous waste cleanup and litigation, review of site assessments, air and water regulations, regional refuse disposal districts.
- Freedom of Information Act. We regularly counsel our public employers on issues related to the Freedom of Information Act and have defended numerous complaints before the Freedom of Information Commission.
- Litigation. Tax appeals, sewer assessments, condemnation, defense of claims, construction litigation, taking claims, civil rights actions based on termination of municipal employees, police misconduct, land use decisions, damages from road abandonment, planning, zoning and wetlands appeals, antitrust, heart and hypertension.
- Labor. Negotiation of collective bargaining agreements, grievance and interest arbitration, prohibited practice defense.
- Employment. Preventive advice on a variety of day-to-day labor and employment matters, including employment discrimination, Americans with Disabilities Act, sexual harassment investigations and complaints, benefit issues, unemployment and workers’ compensation, ERISA, affirmative action, wage and hour matters, privacy issues, drug testing, wrongful discharge issues, personnel policies and safety compliance.
- Economic Development. Remediation, demolition (including obtaining federal grants); contracts, including redevelopment and construction agreements, including architects, construction manager, environmental consultants; industrial park rehabilitation, including condemnations, acquisitions and site development.
- Transportation. Various contracts with the State and private vendors.
- Water/Sewer. Sewer/water projects from inception, including treatment plants and extensions of existing systems; project construction contracts, land use requirements, land acquisitions, condemnations and easements; establishing assessments and use charge procedures; preparing ordinances and regulations; collections; financing and grant programs; and environmental regulation.
- Public Safety. Drafting and negotiating contracts.
- Public Construction Projects. Roads, sewers, schools, water lines, libraries, police stations, fire stations, recreation facilities, town offices, bidding documents and bid disputes.
- Municipal Finance/Bond Counsel. Bond counsel, budget, taxes, special assessments; reserve fund for capital and non-recurring expenses; borrowing – bonds and interim financing; investment of tax funds; use charges.
- Privatization. All aspects of privatization of municipal services.
- Solid Waste Management. The firm has been involved in numerous resource recovery projects, has prepared solid waste ordinances and advised on the development of recycling projects.