beyond products liability defense
carmody – with you every step of the way
At Carmody, we take a different approach to products liability – a proactive approach that begins long before a case is filed and takes a holistic approach to product liability exposure. As a manufacturer your story begins with concept and design, continues through to manufacturing, and onto sales and customer support. It is a story of vision, dedication and hard work. Carmody’s proactive approach to products liability is designed to collaborate with you at every stage in your story – protecting your interests, minimizing product claims, and thoughtfully managing claims when they do arise. Carmody’s Products Liability Group has decades of combined experience representing and defending manufacturers and distributors of all sizes, from national and multi-national corporations to local niche manufacturing operations. That experience enables us to craft specifically tailored programs to meet your needs without unduly burdening your business whether you are a start-up company or a well-established corporation.
Our core goal of being the “one firm for all of your needs” extends our products liability experience by allowing us to bring knowledge from a wide-array of related fields to assist in building a comprehensive approach to products liability, including:
- Corporate and Business
- Insurance Coverage
- Intellectual Property
- Healthcare Law
- Labor and Employment
It seems as if every day we receive a recall notice in the mail or hear about the latest nationwide recall on the news. Recalls are a fact of modern life and the actions of a responsible manufacturer and distributor. At Carmody, we have years of experience guiding our clients through the recall process, including navigating the maze of government regulations and requirements.
today and tomorrow
Looking to the future, Carmody has also worked to incorporate its data and cyber security practice with our products liability practice, ensuring that we can meet your needs today and tomorrow.
Even the most proactive approach cannot prevent all claims. When claims do arise, Carmody is there for you with an experienced litigation team that has defended and litigated cases across the country and in two Canadian provinces. This experience includes litigation through trial as well as “outside the box thinking” in the form of alternative dispute resolution. As with everything we do in the field of products liability, our litigation approach seeks to take the path that best meets your needs and goals.
serving your needs nationally and locally
We know that your litigation needs vary and, whether you need national counsel or local Connecticut counsel, Carmody is there for you. We serve as national counsel for large manufacturers – taking the lead role in defending high stakes litigation and managing teams of local counsel and experts across the country. We also serve as Connecticut counsel working collaboratively as part of a team with national counsel to serve our clients across a wide-range of industries.
- Terms and Conditions Development
- Contract Drafting
- Best Practices Development
- Quality Control
- Claims Management
- Expert Search
- Insurance Coverage Analysis
- Regulatory Compliance
- Internal Investigations
- Governmental Investigations
- Vendor/Supplier Oversight and Management
- Recall Management and Compliance
- Products Liability Audits
- Employee Training and Seminars
- Nationwide Litigation
- Multi-district Consolidated Litigation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Local Counsel Management
- Medical Device
- Consumer Products
- Industrial Products
- Consumer Appliances
- Component Part Manufacturers
- Roofing Materials
- Supreme Court of the State of New York, County of Bronx (August 2018)
- Obtained dismissal of claims on behalf of a metal tubing manufacturer in personal injury action arising out of a construction site accident.
- District Court, 413th Judicial District, Johnson County, Texas (April 2018)
- Obtained dismissal of claims brought against a truck modifier in wrongful death action.
- State of Connecticut Superior Court (2018)
- Part of the defense team that helped secure defense verdicts in three jury trials involving a pharmaceutical product.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Suffolk County Superior Court (June 2016)
- Obtained dismissal of all claims on behalf of a shopping cart manufacturer in a personal injury action.
- Superior Court of the State of California, County of Los Angeles, Central District (May 2016)
- Obtained dismissal of claims brought against fifth wheel manufacturer in personal injury action involving claims of traumatic brain injury.
- 145th Judicial District Court of Nacogdoches County, Texas (April 2016)
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of brake drum manufacturer in multi-fatality wrongful death action.
- United States District Court , District of Connecticut (February 2013)
- Defense verdict for trailer manufacturer in multi-fatality case seeking more than $100 million in damages.
- Commonwealth of Kentucky, Christian Circuit Court, Third Judicial District, Division II (December 2010)
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of bulkhead manufacturer in wrongful death action.
- District Court of Liberty County, Texas, 253rd Judicial District (June 2009)
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of railway tank car manufacturer on federal preemption grounds in multi-fatality wrongful death claim.