Serving clients in Connecticut’s alcohol regulatory and distribution matters
Carmody represents participants in Connecticut’s unique and highly-regulated alcoholic beverage marketplace. For over a decade, we have served as general counsel to the Connecticut Beer Wholesalers Association and as special counsel to its member wholesalers. As a result, we have a deep understanding of the substance, procedure and practical application of Connecticut’s Liquor Control Act.
Our experience in representing participants in the alcoholic beverage marketplace spans all three of its tiers (manufacture, distribution and retail) and includes the following:
- Providing guidance and advice on a host of alcohol-related regulatory, permitting, anti-trust, legislative, commercial and liability issues.
- Successful defense of civil action by reverse vending companies against beer wholesalers regarding allowable and mandatory fees under Connecticut’s container recycling statutes.
- Obtained judgment on behalf of numerous beer and soft drink distributors declaring certain industry mandates of the Connecticut Bottle Bill unconstitutional.
- Participation in national programs sponsored by the Center for Alcohol Policy and National Beer Wholesalers Association.
- Preparation of numerous amendments to Connecticut’s statutes and regulations pertaining to alcoholic beverages and containers.
- Joint presentation with officials of state regulatory agencies to wholesalers regarding laws affecting sales of alcoholic beverages.
- Presentation of petitions to Department of Consumer Protection regarding special pricing arrangements for wholesalers.
- Litigation of disputes among manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers in courts and in administrative proceedings.
- Representation of alcohol three tier participants in mergers and acquisitions.
- Representations of three tier participants and lenders in various financing matters.