Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The Carmody Commitment
Carmody’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiative seeks to:
- Foster increased diversity among Carmody attorneys and staff
- Lead the development of an inclusive culture
- Support the efforts of clients and partners in striving to promote diversity, equity and inclusion in their sector
Our vision of diversity encompasses age, ability, veteran status, racial or ethnic background, LGBTQ+ identity, national origin, socioeconomic background, religion, neurodiversity and gender identity.
- “Mental Health Awareness for Legal Professionals” presented by Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers Connecticut (July 2021)
- “Queer Eye for the Legal Professional” presented by Stevie Tran and Nathan Arrowsmith of TranArrowsmith, a queer-owned law firm (June 2021);
- The Multigenerational Workforce virtual workshop led by Joelle Murchison from The ExecMommy Group (May 2021);
- Workshop on Neurodiversity in recognition of Autism Awareness Month (April 2021);
- Discussion of the film “Driving While Black: Race, Space and Mobility in America” led by the film’s producer Dr. Gretchen Sorin (February 2021);
- Virtual panel discussion entitled “Mentorship & Sponsorship-Breaking Barriers to Advancement and Equity” presented in conjunction with banking-sector client (October 2020);
- Virtual trainings on racism and allyship led by the National Conference for Community and Justice (June 2020)
- DEI Book Club featuring “Between the World and Me” by Ta-Nehisi Coates with facilitated discussion about racism (August 2020)
- Two and a half-hour training on systemic bias and privilege led by the National Conference for Community and Justice (January 2020)
- Training on implicit bias and microaggressions (2019)
- Carmody is a founding member of Connecticut’s statewide Lawyers Collaborative for Diversity (“LCD”) and continues to support its mission to create a more diverse group of law school bound students through hands-on participation in LCD’s mentorship program and mock trial program, and by hosing summer internships for students of color.
- Carmody supports the work of New Haven Promise by being the only private firm to participate in their annual job fair and offering internship opportunities for Promise Scholar participants.
- Carmody offers seasonal internship programs, across all three offices, for college-age students from diverse or disadvantaged backgrounds who are interested in pursuing a career in the law. Click here to read more about our internship program.
- Carmody lawyers are active in the George W. Crawford Black Bar Association, the CBA’s Diversity & Inclusion Pledge and Plan Signatories’ Group, and the Greater New Haven Chamber of Commerce’s Diversity & Inclusion Council. We also support the work of the other affinity bar associations through meaningful sponsorships.
We are dedicated to increasing diversity in the firm and in the legal profession, and constantly work to support a diverse pipeline of applicants for all Firm positions.
- Carmody recruits on campus through UConn Law School’s Cultural Diversity Initiative and through the New England Black Law Student Association’s annual job fair.
- Carmody’s hiring and recruitment programs are guided by DEI best practices.
- Each year, Carmody collaborates with Eversource Energy’s Legal Department to provide a law student of diverse background a unique opportunity to participate in both of their summer associate programs. To learn more, click here.
For more information on recruitment and hiring, visit our Careers Opportunities page.
Carmody’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Team is comprised of lawyers, paralegals, legal assistants, and members of the firm’s administrative and operations teams with monthly meetings that are open to all attorneys and staff.
The DEI Team is led by Managing Partner Richard L. Street (he/him/his) and DEI Co-Chair Amanda C. Nugent (she/her/hers), who also leads the firm’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Consulting practice. Our DEI program was a finalist for the Connecticut Legal Awards Diversity Initiative of the Year award in 2021.
Please contact Amanda Nugent at email@example.com for more information or to learn how to partner with us on DEI initiatives.