- News & Media
Mariella LaRosa, a partner in Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey’s Litigation Group, practices in the area of health care law, representing health care providers and institutions in both litigation and regulatory matters. Her work includes medical malpractice defense, risk management, state and federal licensing and regulatory issues, corporate compliance, fraud and abuse, Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement, privacy/HIPAA law, and health information technology.
Mariella is a frequent speaker at health care seminars on various medical litigation and regulatory topics including: Reimbursement Issues for the Nurse Practitioner, which was presented at the Annual Conference for the National Association of Nurse Practitioners; seminars on Advanced Directives, Current Law in CT; Medical/Legal Issues Affecting Physician Practices; Documentation for the Healthcare Professional and Nursing Liability Issues.
Mariella has successfully represented hospital clients in major medical malpractice cases, including cases involving claims of missed diagnoses, bith injury and wrongful death. Specific examples include:
- Successfully represented a hospital and its labor and delivery nurses in a shoulder dystocia case, resulting in a withdrawl of plaintiffs’ claims against the hospital and its nurses
- Successfully represented two cardiothoracic surgeons in a wrongful death case alleging failure to diagnose cardiac tamponade, resulting in a withdrawal of the individual claims against the surgeons and a favorable statement on behalf of the remaining defendants.
- Obtained summary judgement in favor of a hospital and its laboratory in a case alleging inadequate testing of blood and resultant transmission of HIV
- Successfully represented major home health agency in state licensing and reimbursement investigation and audit
- Obtained dismissal of DPH chargest against hospital physicians alleged to have violated proper infection control procedures
- Led team of legal and medical professionals in complete review and update of credentialing/privileging procedures and processes at large community hospital
Before practicing law, Mariella received a Physician Associate Degree, with honors, from Yale University School of Medicine. She practiced acute care medicine and cardiology as a Physician Associate at St. Francis Hospital in Hartford, Connecticut.
- Selected as Benchmark Litigation Future Star in BENCHMARK Litigation, GUIDE TO AMERICA’S LEADING BUSINESS LITIGATION FIRMS AND ATTORNEYS, 2008, 2013-2015, 2019
- Vice-President, Board of Directors, Family Services of Greater Waterbury, 2006-present
- Judicial Clerkship, Connecticut Appellate Court, Honorable Paul M. Foti, 1994 and 1995
- American Jurisprudence Award for Torts, 1992
- American Jurisprudence Award for Criminal Procedure, 1992
- Honors for thesis entitled “Prosthetic Valve Endocarditis,” research/thesis selected for presentation to Yale University School of Medicine faculty
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1984
- Dean’s List, 1980-1984
- Mariella LaRosa
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section and Health Law Forum
- Connecticut Bar Association, Litigation, Business and Health Law Sections
- Waterbury Bar Association
- Connecticut Health Lawyers Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Connecticut Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- Board Certified Physician Associate by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants, October, 1987
- Connecticut Academy of Physician Assistants
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
- Board of Directors, Family Services of Greater Waterbury
- Greater Valley Chamber of Commerce, Health Care Council
- Associate, Cushing/Whitney Medical Library, Yale University