- News, Alerts & Publications
John Horvack is an accomplished trial lawyer and the leader of the firm’s Intellectual Property Litigation Group. For over 25 years, John has represented clients throughout the country in patent, trademark, antitrust, false advertising, unfair competition, copyright, and trade secret lawsuits. John’s clients include global leaders in the areas of specialty chemicals, satellite systems, telecommunications, optics, sports equipment, software design, and watch design. John has successfully tried cases in nearly every conceivable venue, including the state and federal courts, the Patent and Trademark Office, the International Trade Commission, and International Arbitration.
As a result of his courtroom successes, John was recognized as a “Lawyer of the Year” finalist by the Connecticut Law Tribune in 2015. While cataloging his accomplishments, John was described as a “superb trial lawyer,” a “devastating cross-examiner,” and a “$110 Million Winner” – who “regularly prevails in complex IP cases.” He was also described as “indefatigable” and with “a fine mind for the complexities of the case.” The full article can be accessed here.
In 2014, National Law Journal recognized John as one of the trial lawyers who secured the largest jury verdict in the State of Connecticut and the 59th largest jury verdict in the entire country for that year. Every year since 2007, John has been selected as a Connecticut Super Lawyer and a New England Super Lawyer in the area of Intellectual Property Litigation. Benchmark Litigation also recognized John as a “Litigation Star” in the areas of Competition and Intellectual Property.
John is active in his community. He proudly coaches both of his daughters’ softball teams and is a member of the Board of Directors for New Haven Farms – a non-profit that grows organic foods at seven urban farms located in New Haven’s most indigent neighborhoods.
- Lead trial counsel in a federal jury trial involving antitrust violations, trade secret misappropriation and computer crimes. Client prevailed on all claims, resulting in a judgment of nearly $65 Million.
- Secured what is believed to be the largest punitive award ($27,538,889) in the history of the State of Connecticut.
- Secured a $25 Million settlement in a trade secrets and unfair trade practice case.
- Lead counsel in a patent dispute involving flexographic printing systems. Obtained summary judgment as to all patent infringement claims.
- Lead trial counsel in a patent infringement action before the U.S. International Trade Commission, involving coaxial cable connectors. Secured a finding of non-infringement as to all claims of patent infringement.
- Lead trial counsel in a patent infringement claim resolved by arbitration before the AAA, involving digitally imaged flexographic printing. Secured a finding of non-infringement as to all claims of patent infringement.
- Lead trial counsel for numerous high-tech, global companies with respect to intellectual property disputes throughout the country.
- Lead trial counsel for cases litigated in the following venues: Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, Virginia, and Washington D.C.
- Named a “Local Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation, 2010 – 2016, 2019
- Selected for inclusion in Connecticut Super Lawyers, 2007 – 2018
- Selected for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers in the area of Intellectual Property Litigation, 2008 – 2016
- Connecticut Law Tribune’s finalist for Lawyer of the Year, Professional Excellence Awards, 2015
- Notes & Comments Editor, Quinnipiac Law Review, 1991 and 1992
- Law Intern for The Honorable Peter C. Dorsey, 1990
- MacDermid’s $35M Jury Award in Antitrust Row Trimmed
- Waterbury Company Gets Nearly $28 Million in Punitives in IP Case
- Connecticut Chemical Company Collects $25 Million Settlement
- Company Wins $35 Million Verdict in Trade Secrets Case
- 36 Attorneys Selected to the 2016 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List
- 41 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2018 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut Lists
- 33 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2018 New England Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars Lists
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- New Haven Bar Association
His drive and unparalleled advocacy has established a winning track record for us in large, complex disputes. Highly recommended.General Counsel, Global Producer of Speciality Chemicals
His great work in the courtroom has advanced our technology and business interests. A huge asset for us.CEO, Global Producer of Satellite Systems
Enjoined our competitor and drove them into bankruptcy. Highly recommended in situations where it matters most.CEO, Producer of Herbal Products