- News, Alerts & Publications
John Horvack is a partner in Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey's litigation group and leads the firm's Intellectual Property Litigation Group. John is a trial attorney who represents clients in complex matters involving intellectual property rights, antitrust issues and general commercial disputes. For over 20 years, John has represented clients throughout the country in patent, trademark, false advertising, unfair competition, copyright, and trade secret lawsuits. John’s clients include global leaders in the areas of specialty chemicals, satellite systems, telecommunications, computer software, and watch design. As a result of his work for clients in the area of intellectual property litigation, John has been selected for inclusion in Connecticut Super Lawyers and New England Super Lawyers and named a "Local Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation.
Additionally, John was recognized by the National Law Journal as securing the 59th largest jury verdict in the country in 2014, and the largest in the State of Connecticut for 2014.
- Lead trial counsel in a federal jury trial involving antitrust violations, trade secret misappropriation and computer crimes. Client prevailed on all claims, resulting in a judgment of nearly $65 Million.
- Secured what is believed to be the largest punitive award ($27,538,889) in the history of the State of Connecticut.
- Secured a $25 Million settlement in a trade secrets and unfair trade practice case.
- Lead counsel in a patent dispute involving flexographic printing systems. Obtained summary judgment as to all patent infringement claims.
- Lead trial counsel in a patent infringement action before the U.S. International Trade Commission, involving coaxial cable connectors. Secured a finding of non-infringement as to all claims of patent infringement.
- Lead trial counsel in a patent infringement claim resolved by arbitration before the AAA, involving digitally imaged flexographic printing. Secured a finding of non-infringement as to all claims of patent infringement.
- Lead trial counsel for numerous high-tech, global companies with respect to intellectual property disputes throughout the country.
- Lead trial counsel for cases litigated in the following venues: Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, Virginia, and Washington D.C.
- Named a "Local Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation, 2010 – 2016
- Selected for inclusion in Connecticut Super Lawyers, 2007 – 2017
- Selected for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers in the area of Intellectual Property Litigation, 2008 – 2016
- Connecticut Law Tribune's finalist for Lawyer of the Year, Professional Excellence Awards, 2015
- Notes & Comments Editor, Quinnipiac Law Review, 1991 and 1992
- Law Intern for The Honorable Peter C. Dorsey, 1990
- John R. Horvack Jr.
- John R. Horvack Jr.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- New Haven Bar Association
His drive and unparalleled advocacy has established a winning track record for us in large, complex disputes. Highly recommended.General Counsel, Global Producer of Speciality Chemicals
His great work in the courtroom has advanced our technology and business interests. A huge asset for us.CEO, Global Producer of Satellite Systems
Enjoined our competitor and drove them into bankruptcy. Highly recommended in situations where it matters most.CEO, Producer of Herbal Products