- News & Media
Jennifer focuses her practice on land use, general municipal and environmental law. She is also knowledgeable about drone law as it may apply to municipalities or private businesses.
Jennifer has extensive experience advising municipal land use agencies in applying state and local laws to their activities as well as interpreting, drafting and revising their regulations. She also represents applicants before land use agencies. Jennifer’s comprehensive understanding and appreciation of municipal and applicant perspectives enables her to anticipate and resolve issues arising in land use proceedings. When land use decisions are appealed, Jennifer argues on behalf of her clients before the Connecticut Superior and Appellate Courts.
In connection with her general municipal practice, Jennifer advises water pollution control authorities on various matters including enforcement of sewer use agreements, sewer use billing questions and sewer assessment collections. Additionally, she has provided advice to municipalities on water supply issues.
Jennifer is knowledgeable about the many ways that municipalities have been using drones for emergency and non-emergency purposes and can provide guidance regarding best practices for municipal operations as well as the FAA regulations that govern such programs. She is also available to assist private companies in determining whether drones may be useful in their operations and evaluating the options of engaging an outside drone operator versus establishing an in-house program. As a private, instrument-rated pilot with nearly 1,000 flight hours as well as a Part 107 commercial drone operator’s license, Jennifer has years of experience operating within the national airspace system and complying with FAA regulations.
Jennifer’s environmental practice encompasses both environmental risk assessment and regulatory compliance. She has reviewed hundreds of environmental site assessments and provided advice regarding potential liabilities arising out of land acquisition, sales, leasing and lending transactions. Jennifer assists clients in complying with the Connecticut Transfer Act by determining whether it applies to their transactions, and if so, by working with environmental consultants to complete Transfer Act forms, including Environmental Land Use Restriction documents. She also advises clients in responding to Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection enforcement proceedings.
- Evaluated environmental liability for over 200 sites for a major telecommunications carrier
- Oversaw and evaluated borrowers’ compliance with environmental due diligence requirements for bond issuances on behalf of a large financial institution client.
- Successfully represented clients in numerous land use appeals, including most recently a municipality in Caporaso v. Prospect Zoning Board of Appeals and an applicant in Armetta v. Middletown Planning and Zoning Commission.
- News & Legal Updates for Municipal UAV Programs
- Drone Law Update: Bad News, Good News
- News and Legal Updates for Municipal UAV Programs
- Connecticut Bar Association, Planning and Zoning, Environmental and Real Estate Sections
- Member, Shoreline Group of the Connecticut Sierra Club, 1993–present
- Volunteer Pilot, Pilots ‘n’ Paws, 2012–present