- News & Media
Janie McDermott is an Associate in Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey’s Business Services and Real Estate practice areas. She provides guidance regarding the establishment and operation of charitable organizations and family foundations and assists clients through the estate planning and administration process.
She primarily focuses on planning for young families and guardianship/ trustee issues.
Janie also assists utility and telecommunications companies with the preparation of leases, property acquisitions, land issues and siting issues. She regularly assists with new energy infrastructure projects.
Janie is in the community, organizing internal fundraisers and supporting local organizations. During law school Janie worked with Quinnipiac University School of Law’s Civil Justice Clinic, primarily on issues of juvenile justice reform. She also served as a Summer Fellow at Yale Law School’s Jerome N. Frank Legal Services Organization, where she worked on mortgage foreclosure litigation and landlord/tenant issues.
- Recognized for “Dedicated Service to Our Community” by Greater Waterbury Interfaith Ministries, 2018
- Selected for inclusion in Connecticut Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in the area of Nonprofit Organizations, 2017-2019
- James A. Trowbridge Professional Responsibility Award, 2015
- American Bar Association Section of State & Local Government Law, Award for Excellence in Land Use and State and Local Government Law, 2015
- Articles and Opinions Editor, Quinnipiac Probate Law Journal
- Distinguished Academic Achievement Award, Land Use Planning
- Distinguished Academic Achievement Award, Historic Preservation
- Distinguished Academic Achievement Award, Legal Skills
- 41 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2019 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut Lists
- 33 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2018 New England Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars Lists
- 41 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2018 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut Lists
- Waterbury Regional Chamber Business Women’s Forum, Board Member, Scholarship Committee
- Oliver Wolcott Library, Festival of Trees Committee
- Litchfield Community Center, Board of Directors