- News & Media
Doug is a member of Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey’s litigation group. He represents and advises a diverse group of clients in commercial, business, and tort litigation. He represents national and multinational manufacturers, professional corporations, financial institutions, government contractors, medical professionals, and hospitals in high exposure litigation in state and federal courts. A thoughtful problem solver, Doug also advises his clients as to litigation avoidance practices. In this capacity, Doug engages in thorough preventive counseling by preparing comprehensive risk management guidelines for business operations, and internal audits to ensure compliance with state, federal, and local laws and regulations.
Some of Doug’s notable achievements include the following:
- Part of a trial team that secured a jury verdict in an unfair trade practices and tortious interference case. After four weeks of evidence, the jury found all issues in favor of Doug’s client, including entitlement to punitive damages.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of a financial institution for alleged failure to pay disability benefits.
- Successfully defended against an application for pre-judgment remedy in a case where plaintiff’s counsel sought to encumber nearly half a million dollars of the clients’ assets.
- Obtained summary judgment in a complicated federal court case involving claims of defamation and commercial disparagement.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against a metal tubing manufacturer in a personal injury action.
- Obtained dismissal of defamation claims on behalf of a pro bono client.
Doug actively and enthusiastically serves the communities in which he lives and works. He performs legal services on a pro bono basis for needy individuals, and serves in leadership roles for area non-profit organizations. He is a member of the firm’s Pro Bono and Diversity and Inclusion Committees.
Prior to joining the firm, Doug served as a law clerk to the Honorable Lubbie Harper, Jr. and the Honorable Paul M. Foti of the Connecticut Appellate Court, and as a law clerk to the judges of the Connecticut Superior Court, including the judges of the Complex Litigation Docket.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®: Ones to Watch for Commercial Litigation, 2021
- Selected for inclusion as a Rising Star in Connecticut Super Lawyers® in the area of Business Litigation, 2018 – 2020
- Recipient of Pro Bono honors for providing more than 100 hours of pro bono services during law school
- Suffolk University Law Review, 2012-2013
- Jurisprudence Award, Corporations, 2011
- 33 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2020 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut Lists
- 29 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers®
- 41 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2019 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut Lists
- 33 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2018 New England Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars Lists
- 41 Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey LLP Attorneys Selected to the 2018 Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars in Connecticut Lists
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Waterbury Bar Association
- New Haven County Bar Association
- Connecticut Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Children’s Community School, Vice President of the Board of Directors
- Young Leaders Advisory Council, Hartford Hospital ~ Member of Executive Committee and Chair of Membership Subcommittee
- Suffolk University Law School, Law Student Mentor and Clerkship Advisor
- Young Professionals of Waterbury Region (YPOWR), Member and Events Volunteer