- News & Media
Chris Rooney is a litigator (criminal and civil) whose practice focuses on investigations of environmental, fraud, antitrust, investment funds and False Claims Act violations, particularly by state and federal government. He has also represented partners in various real estate and hedge fund who have sued each other.
DiNardo Seaside Tower, LTD v. Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation (2012) – Six week jury trial against military contractor for damages to factory it occupied.
Tuckerbrook/SB Global Special Situations GP, LLC Et Al v. Alkek & Williams, LTD. et al. (2014) – Trial between limited and general partners on hedge fund collapse.
Cumulus Media v. Okesson (2010) – Successful defense of breach of business confidentiality (settled).
CTDEP v. Pilot (2010) – defense of suit by attorney general seeking $56 million in fines related to what A.G. referred to as the largest underground release of diesel in Connecticut history. After cross examinations of its lead witnesses, the DEP case collapsed and it settled for $75,000.
Walker Manor Assoc. v. City of Milford (2009) – defense of City in environmental trial brought by neighbors alleging impairment of tidal area under Connecticut Environmental Protection Act. Judgment for the City.
West v. Timex Corp. (2008) – represented Timex in False Claims Act and retaliation case brought by ex-U.S. Military Accounts Manager. Directed verdict in favor of Timex at close of plaintiff’s case. Affirmed by Second Circuit.
Brennan v. Brennan Associates (2012) – In suit brought by one partner against his three other partners to take over shopping center, I successfully defended the three partners and obtained a judgment dissociating the plaintiff. Affirmed by Supreme Court. Second trial as to valuation of assets.
- Representation of two multi-billion dollar international construction companies in five year criminal/civil investigation in connection with government contract valued at over $500,000,000
- Representation of investment advisor in criminal/civil investigation of failure of $300,000,000 Bayou Hedge Fund
- Representation of individual limited partners sued by government in multiple civil suits related to failure of $40,000,000 Small Business Investment Company
- Representation of targets/subjects in various government criminal investigations related to construction, trash hauling, perjury, Medicare fraud, money laundering/structuring, insurance fraud, antitrust and hedge funds
- Part of “highly recommended” Connecticut litigation team, Benchmark Litigation
- Selected as a Connecticut Local Litigation Star in Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2015
- Selected for inclusion in Connecticut Super Lawyers in the area of General Litigation, 2006 – 2010
- Lecturer, Natural Resources Course, University of Connecticut School of Law, Spring Term 2008 – 2010
- University of Connecticut Symposium on Water Law, 2006
- Conference on Eastern Water Rights, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 2004
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Executive Committee of the Federal Practice Section, Connecticut Bar Association
- New Haven Bar Association
- Sterling House Community Service, Stratford, CT
- Mighty Quinn Foundation, Inc.
Events & Speaking Engagements
Pro Bono Trials: Tips & Pointers from the Bench & Bar - Second Edition
8:00am United States District Court for the District of Connecticut
CBA Environmental Section’s 2nd Annual “Evening of Connecticut Environmental Leadership”
6:00pm Yale Peabody Museum