Chris Rooney is a litigator (criminal and civil) whose practice focuses on investigations of environmental, fraud, antitrust, investment funds and False Claims Act violations, particularly by state and federal government. He has also represented partners in various real estate and hedge funds who have sued each other.
Recent Major Cases:
Connecticut Light and Power Company v. R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company (2017) – Suit brought on behalf of CL&P against printing company after discovery of a bypass of electric meter which enabled company to obtain electricity for 14 years without paying for most of it. Settled on confidential terms.
Marinelis Sena, Administratrix, Estate of Tyrone O. Tillman et al. v. American Medical Response of Connecticut, Inc. et al. – Appealed denial of motion for summary judgment on the basis that Bridgeport‘s first responders were immune from suit under Connecticut’s Emergency Management Act in death of asthma patient who called 9-1-1. Supreme Court ruled unanimously that Bridgeport was immune. 333 Conn. 30 (2019)
The Writer’s Workshop Inc. v. John C. Elwell Jr., et al. (2017) – Defended foreclosure action on the basis that mortgage signed by my client was obtained by improper threats to report her spouse as a criminal if she did not sign. Court ruled that the threats by attorney and his client amounted to duress and voided the mortgage.
C.A.D.S., LLC et al. v. Sundance Realty, LLC et al. (2019) – Environmental litigation brought by seller of contaminated car dealership to new owner. Court found for my clients on all counts and ordered plaintiffs to pay defense’s attorney’s fees.
The Reserve Realty LLC et al. v. BLT Reserve LLC et al. (2017-2021) – Defended purchaser of two development parcels of former Union Carbide campus against suit by brokers seeking multi-million brokerage fee. Trial court found for my clients on the plaintiffs’ claims and multiple defenses. Reversed as to antitrust defense by Supreme Court, remanded and trial decision affirmed by Appellate Court on remaining defenses.
DiNardo Seaside Tower, LTD v. Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation (2012) – Six week jury trial against military contractor for damages to factory it occupied.
Tuckerbrook/SB Global Special Situations GP, LLC et al. v. Alkek & Williams, LTD. et al. (2014) – Trial between limited and general partners on hedge fund collapse.
CTDEP v. Pilot (2010) – Defense of suit by Connecticut Attorney General seeking $56 million in fines related to what A.G. referred to as the largest underground release of diesel fuel in Connecticut history. After cross examinations of its lead witnesses, the DEP case collapsed and it settled for $75,000.
West v. Timex Corp. (2008) – Represented Timex in False Claims Act and retaliation case brought by ex-U.S. Military Accounts Manager. Directed verdict in favor of Timex at close of plaintiff’s case. Affirmed by Second Circuit.
Brennan v. Brennan Associates (2012) – In suit brought by one partner against his three other partners to take control of a regional shopping center, we successfully defended the three partners and obtained a judgment dissociating the plaintiff. Affirmed by Supreme Court. Second trial as to valuation of assets also decided by Supreme court in my clients’ favor.
- Representation of two multi-billion dollar international construction companies in five year criminal/civil investigation in connection with government contract valued at over $500,000,000
- Representation of investment advisor in criminal/civil investigation of failure of $300,000,000 Bayou Hedge Fund
- Representation of individual limited partners sued by government in multiple civil suits related to failure of $40,000,000 Small Business Investment Company
- Representation of targets/subjects in various government criminal investigations related to construction, trash hauling, perjury, Medicare fraud, money laundering/structuring, insurance fraud, antitrust and hedge funds
- Represented target of government investigation into bus system provide by my client in Liberia.
- Lecturer, Natural Resources Course, University of Connecticut School of Law, Spring Term 2008 – 2010
- University of Connecticut Symposium on Water Law, 2006
- Conference on Eastern Water Rights, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 2004
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Executive Committee of the Federal Practice Section, Connecticut Bar Association
- New Haven Bar Association
- Sterling House Community Service, Stratford, CT
- Mighty Quinn Foundation, Inc. (Shakespeare Academy @ Stratford)